Cane & Grain



Cane & Grain only opened recently in Manchester's trendy Northern Quarter, and billed itself from the beginning as being a bar and rib joint, spread over several floors, including a tiki lounge.

I decided to pop in for lunch one day whilst I was in the city, and was pleased to see there were some tasty and very affordable lunchtime offers available, so I wandered inside.

The décor is that modern-hipster style of rough-and-ready, distressed paint and textures etc, but still spacious and colourful with art on the walls. Also it's not really related, but I love their logo!


From the lunchmenu I ordered the rib-roll and fries, which I thought for £5 was very well priced! I also ordered a lemon-lime Ting (£2 a can, but hey you can't win them all), which was perfect for the sunny hot day, which also prompted me to sit outside in their outdoor seating area, and people watch... which in the Northern Quarter is a bit more interesting than in the rest of the city!

The staff are young, friendly, and professional, which is pleasant and welcoming to those of us who might otherwise feel a little out-of-place in modern and dare I say "hip" places. Yes I said hip. Shut up.

My food arrived looking delicious, and served on a metal tray and with a metal mug of fries (hipster places don't like plates). The pork roll was succulent and tasty, served with red onions and gherkin slices. The fries were seasoned absolutely perfectly, with "tiki salt" according to one of the staff. They were hot, crisp, and very tasty indeed!


I only popped here for lunch during the day, and I imagine when it's busy at night and the cocktails are flowing in the Liars Lounge it may have an atmosphere different altogether, but I think it's one I'd be quite happy to check out sometime, as this came across as a friendly and good quality venue which I can imagine hanging out in with my friends.

I'll definitely be back for that fabulous lunch deal again! 7 quid for a large freshly made pork roll with seasoned fresh fries and a drink in the city centre is a steal!




Cane & Grain
49-51 Thomas Street
Northern Quarter
Manchester City Centre
M4 1NA
(0161) 839 7033
www.caneandgrain.co.uk






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.