Caffè Rosso



Whilst in Wigan for an appointment, I decided to look online for places to get some breakfast or brunch whilst I was in the area. I don't know the area well, but it seems there's some good choices. The one that stood out for me, and was closest and open, was Caffè Rosso on Wigan Lane.


From the outside, Rosso is unassuming, but the first thing I notice is that at this point of the morning it can't have been open long, but there were already people dining in the outside seating, and two tables occupied inside. The inside of Rosso is modern with retro and vintage touches, but as well as being clean and pleasantly decorated and furnished, it feels welcoming. The details around the room such as newspapers and magazines for customers to read are nice, but its small details like free wifi, and books on things like trips around the British Isles that make you realise that not only are you welcome, but if you want to stay a while and relax, you're welcome to.



When I mentioned to one of the owners that I liked the feel of the place and the décor, he thanked me and said that it was a carbon copy of their living room at home, but without the television. I think I can believe that, because it's very welcoming and comfortable.

Upon reading the breakfast menu (a specific "good morning!" menu, which I like the idea of), and the main "welcome" menu on the table, the two words I would use to describe Rosso are "provenance" and "passion". The details given in the guide exude pride at listing where their foods and ingredients are sourced, their views on ethics and quality, and emphasising the home-made elements, and the awards they have earned. I like this. If you have something of quality and you know it, then by all means, shout it from the rooftops!



 As it was morning, I opted for some granary toast with marmalade and a pot of tea. I liked that I was able to ask for decaf tea, skimmed milk, and sweetener, without it being an issue that it can often be at small establishments like this.

Sounds healthy doesn't it? Only thing is, I had my eye on a particularly nice looking slab of Belgian chocolate tiffin in a cake cabinet on the main counter next to an equally delicious looking key lime pie. Well it'd be rude not to, wouldn't it? I ordered with one of the owners at the counter. He was friendly, welcoming, and professional.


The tea was perfect as to be expected, but the tiffin was really excellent! Rich and chocolatey, it was the perfect little treat, and knowing it was home-made was another nice touch. I'd be tempted to come back just for this little beast, but in seeing that they also do Afternoon Teas, I'm sure I could be persuaded to return a few times... just for research purposes of course!

As it stands, I wasn't expecting to find anything amazing early on a Monday morning in Wigan, but I found a real gem. I must explore Wigan more!

You've got something good on your hands, Rosso, and you deserve your awards and praise! I only came for a brew and some breakfast, but I left feeling great! I will definitely be back


Caffè Rosso
17 Wigan Lane
Wigan
WN1 1XR
(01942) 581 609
www.cafferosso.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.