The Café at Spring Cottage


I remember visiting Spring Cottage during Christmas last year to check out a market event they had on. Although I didn't get into the cafe as it was busy, I found the location and the spirit of the place to be really wonderful, with a great atmosphere, and so I promised myself I'd come back sometime to try the cafe itself. So I did.


I went along on a quiet Thursday morning just as they were opening. I pulled into the car park, loomed over by the lush woodland setting, and walked up to the gates, where I heard a rooster crowing. Lovely.

As I entered the cafe, I was the first customer, and was welcomed warmly by two friendly members of staff who were setting up, and who took my drinks order and left me with the breakfast menu board. The menu board is only small, so I ordered a croissant, and was asked if I wanted it with chocolate or apricot, so I said apricot, thinking it would simply be a jam on the side, or possibly spread for me. More on that shortly...




My Earl Grey arrived in a pretty glass teapot, and so I relaxed, listening to the music, and taking in the cafe. The cafe is really lovely, it's unique in that it's basically a rustic bohemian woodland cafe. Furniture is eclectic, and varies from barstools and regular tables and chairs, to comfortable armchairs and a Central Perk-esque couch. Tables are adorned with fresh flowers and books, and there are posters and books on display as well as to buy. It has a lovely atmosphere.



Now remember the croissant I ordered? The board just said "croissant" so I was just expecting a warmed up croissant with a pot of jam, but what came was a FRESHLY BAKED croissant, with the apricot jam BAKED INTO IT! It was fresh and warm, dusted with icing sugar and served with fruit, and was absolutely sublime! It wasn't just a "croissant", but I suppose that little menu board couldn't go into full details, but what a treat! It makes me ponder the other items on that board too, given that they may be just as surpassing of their simple descriptions!





As I was enjoying this wonderful breakfast, I watched fresh cakes continue to be brought out onto the main counter where the owner hand finished them with a little fruit here, a sprinkle of sugar there, with real care and love. I then saw the scones, and despite not planning to have anything else, I had to order one! It came waaaaaaaaarm and with cream, a lovely quality strawberry jam, and fruit.



Upon chatting with the staff, I found that their daily food menu frequently changes. Although a few well loved stalwarts remain, the daily food offerings are fabulously written on a big piece of baking paper, and displayed for the customers to see. This is a lovely idea... freshly made food, and variation meaning that you can visit repeatedly, still get some of your favourites, but have something new and exciting to try every time you visit!

The cafe also displays above its main bar, a blackboard detailing events going on through the year, such as their current Caribbean festivities, the upcoming Sausage and Ale event, and of course Christmas (for which they have some marvellous sounding plans!).



I had a really lovely time. I can't remember when I've enjoyed breakfast quite so much. The atmosphere is friendly, welcoming, and peaceful, the staff are friendly, warm and welcoming, the food is absolutely wonderful, and I got to give a good morning ear-rub to the café's two lovely dogs, Jean and Patrick, who were outside enjoying the morning sunshine... what more could you want?

I'm most definitely going back!

The Café at Spring Cottage
Rivington Lane
Rivington Village
Bolton
BL6 7SB
(01204) 772 920
www.springcottage.org

1 comment:

  1. I shall now try this after reading your comments, I often drive past but have never ventured in!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.